- Category: Uncategorised
- Published on 21 August 2013
UniMAP Portal is a gateway to share all information and access UniMAP web applications. The information such as news, an announcement and speaker notes. For web applications are Leave Application Online, Online Course Registration and Online Examination Result.
Portal has the ability to support 'personal page' (Personalized page), which means each user or group of users will get their own pages according to user requirements or group. Each user group can also contribute and thus share the information each other. UniMAP portal also have Single Sign-On (SSO) features which is one of the functions available in the Portal UniMAP. SSO allows users registered to access various web applications via the portal UniMAP by login once. This means that after key in login information for the first time, user does not have to put login information to access the other application. This function is safe and only users who have the authority are allowed to access the web application.
- To enhance collaboration and interaction among UniMAP community.
- To present relevant information to UniMAP community.
- To offer a variety of information sources as a references.
- To provide a Personal Pages (Personalized Page) for each registered user.
- To encourage the sharing and exchange of knowledge (knowledge-exchange) between UniMAP community.
Technology System Development
- Server - IBM x345 Series
- Operating System: Linux Advance Server 2.1AS/i686
- Application Server: Oracle9iAS Release 1 version 126.96.36.199.2
- Oracle9iAS Portal Version: 188.8.131.52.5
- HTTP Server: Apache/1.3.23
- Programming Language: Java version - IBMJava2-131
- Java Servlet API: Java ™ Servlet Dev. Kit (JSDK) 2.0
- Database: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 184.108.40.206.0
UniMAP Portal design is based on the Enterprise Portal which has been used by international organizations. Portal development is based on multi-tier design and it is the latest in the development of solution methods.
The system consists of three (3) main components which are user (client), the server middle-tier and database servers that interact with each other as shown in Figure 1. By using this method, the issues connectivity, transaction management, interaction of heterogeneous platforms and security system has to be addressed.
Figure 1: Architecture Portal
Personalized Concept Page
The concept of personalized supportive Portal page that allows users to access various information on roles and Priviledge given by the university described in Figure 2:
Figure 2: Concepts Personalized Page In Portal
The following is a Personalized Page for each role:
a) Top Management Portal - Developed to assist the UniMAP highest Management to make strategic decision making. There are four (4) modules which are academic management, human resource management, financial management and management of the library. Some of the contents of this page are:
- Students graph Based Course.
- Students graph by State.
- Graph Students by Gender.
- Analysis Report Examination Results.
- By Staff Report Post.
- Financial Executive Report.
- Overall Attendance Staff Report.
Figure 3: Top Management Portal
b) Staff Portal Administration - Developed to facilitate the administration in UniMAP data basis as part of the admission, examination and employment of staff. It is also capable to generate periodic reports set, exception reports and report request. Other content of this page are:
- Student Recruitment Report.
- Student Course Enrollment Report.
- Student Exam Analysis Report.
- Staff Personnel Report.
- According to Department Staff Report.
- Staff Report The Following Bumiputera Academic Training Scheme.
Figure 4: Administrative Staff Portal
c) Academic Staff Portal - Developed to facilitate academic staff in teaching activities such as uploading notes, make announcements and monitor the student under their supervision. Some of the contents of this page are:
- Announcement column for Students.
- Discussion space for Students.
- Lecture Notes uploaded by lecturers.
- List of past year question papers.
- Academic Management related forms.
Figure 5: Academic Staff Portal
d) Student Portal - Designed to facilitate the students in learning activities, such as downloading notes, view the results and register for the courses. Some of the contents of this page are:
- Space announcement from Lecturers.
- Discussion space for Lecturer.
- Space to download lecture notes.
- Column to download Past Questions.
- Online Course Registration.
- Online Examination Results.
- Reference Books Online Reservation.
Figure 6: Student Portal